Susan F. Martin
Donald G. Herzberg Professor Emerita
Susan Martin held the Donald G. Herzberg Chair in International Migration and founded and led the Institute for the Study of International Migration in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. Previously. Dr. Martin served as the Executive Director of the U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform, established by legislation to advise Congress and the President on U.S. immigration and refugee policy. Prior to joining the Commission's staff, Professor Martin was the Director of Research and Programs at the Refugee Policy Group, a Washington-based center for the analysis of U.S. and international refugee policy and programs. She was Assistant Professor at the American Studies Department of Brandeis University and Lecturer in the History of American Civilization Department at the University of Pennsylvania.
Her recent publications include A Nation of Immigrants, Women, Migration and Conflict: Breaking a Deadly Cycle (ed.); Mexico-U.S. Migration Management: A Binational Approach(ed.); Managing Migration: The Promise of Cooperation; Beyond the Gateway: Immigrants in a Changing America (ed.); The Uprooted: Improving Humanitarian Responses to Forced Migration; and Refugee Women.
Dr. Martin earned her M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and her B.A. from Douglass College, Rutgers University. She is the immediate Past President of the International Association for the Study of Forced Migration and serves on the U.S. Comptroller General’s Advisory Board, the Academic Advisory Board of the International Organization for Migration, and the Board of the Advocacy Project.
- "Towards an extension of complementary protection?," in Research Handbook on Climate Change, Migration and the Law, edited by Francois Crepeau and Benoit Mayer. Edward Elgar Publications (October 2017).
- "UNHCR Policy on Refugee Women: A 25-Year Retrospective," in Gender, Violence, Refugees, Volume 37, edited by Susanne Buckley-Zistel and Ulrike Krause (August 2017).
- "Environmental Resource Management in Refugee Camps and Surrounding Areas: Lessons Learned and Best Practices," report co-written with Douglas A. Howard, Lahra Smith, Nili Sarit Yossinger, Lara Kinne and Mark Giordano (Summer 2017).
- "U.S. Refugee Policy: The Lessons of the Holocaust for Today," working paper written for the United States Holocaust Museum (Summer 2017).
- "US Leadership and the International Refugee Regime," co-written with Elizabeth Ferris in Refuge: Canada's Journal on Refugees (Winter 2017).
- "Longing to Feel Safe," ISIM report co-written with Elżbieta M. Goździak and Lara Kinne (January 2017).
- "International Migration and Global Governance," in Global Summitry, Volume 1 Issue 1 (Summer 2015).
- "Disasters and Displacement in a Changing Climate: The State of the Evidence," in Forced Migration Review, Volume 49 (May 2015).
- International Migration: Evolving Trends from the Early Twentieth Century to the Present. Cambridge University Press (July 2014).
- Humanitarian Crisis and Migration: Causes, Consequences and Responses. Routledge (April 2014).
- Crisis, special issue of Forced Migration Review, co-advised with Sanjula Weerasinghe and Abbie Taylor (February 2014).
- "Changing Climate, Moving People: Framing Migration, Displacement, and Planned Relocation," policy paper co-written with Koko Warner, Tamer Afifi, and others for the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (June 2013).
- "La Politique Migratoire entre le Mexique et les Etats-Unis: unilateralisme ou cooperation?," in Politique Américaine (May 2013).
- "Crisis Migration: Year One Report," ISIM Report (February 2013).
- "Climate Change and Migration: the UNFCCC Climate Negotiations and Global Forum on Migration and Development," co-written with Koko Warner for The German Marshall Fund of the United States (November 2012).
- "Urban Refugees in Amman: Mainstreaming of Healthcare," ISIM report written with help from Abbie Taylor (November 2012).
- "Environmental Change and Migration: Legal and Political Frameworks," in Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space, Volume 30 Issue 6 (January 2012)
- A Nation of Immigrants. Cambridge University Press(November 2010).
- "Climate Change and Migration: Report of the Transatlantic Study Team," co-written with Koko Warner and others for The German Marshall Fund of the United States (September 2010).
- "Climate Change and International Migration," paper written for The German Marshall Fund of the United States (June 2010).
- "Climate Change, Migration, and Adaption," policy brief written for United Nations University: Migration Network (June 2010).
- "Forced Migration, the Refugee Regime and the Responsibility to Protect," in Global Responsibility to Protect, Volume 2 Issue 1-2 (February 2010).
- "Gender and the Evolving Refugee Regime," in Refugee Survey Quarterly, Volume 29 Issue 2 (March 2010).
- "The Role of Migrant Health Care Workers in Aging Societies: Report on Research Findings in the United States," ISIM report co-written with Lindsay Lowell, Elzbieta Gozdziak, Micah Bump, and Mary Breeding (December 2009).
- Women, Migration and Conflict: Breaking a Deadly Cycle, co-edited with John Tirman. Springer International Publishing (November 2009).
- "Incorporating Migration into Development: Government and Civil Society Initiatives," ISIM policy brief (June 2009).
- "Immigration and American Competitiveness: US Immigration Policy in the 21st Century," co-written with B. Lindsay Lowell and Micah Bump in Skilled Immigration Today: Prospects, Problems, and Policies. Oxford University Press (April 2009).
- Mexico-U.S. Migration Management: A Binational Approach, co-edited with Agustin Escobar Latapi. Lexington Books (October 2008).
- "Justice, Women's Rights, and Forced Migration," in Refugee Rights: Ethics, Advocacy, and Africa, edited by David Hollenbach, SJ. Georgetown University Press (April 2008).
- "International Labor Mobility in the United States," co-written with B. Lindsay Lowell, presented at the PECC-ABAC Conference on International Labor Mobility (March 2008).
- "Worksite Solutions to Unauthorized Migration," ISIM report co-written with B. Lindsay Lowell and Micah Bump (October 2007).
- "Controlling Irregular Migration: The Challenge of Worksite Enforcement," ISIM fieldwork report co-written with B. Lindsay Lowell, Micah Bump and Andrew I. Schoenholtz (September 2007).
- "Women, Migration, and Development," ISIM report (June 2007).
- "Unauthorized Migration: US Policy Responses in Comparative Perspective," ISIM report (March 2007).
- "Foreign Students Coming to America: the Impact of Policy, Procedures, and Economic Competition," ISIM report co-written with B. Lindsay Lowell and Micah Bump (February 2007).
- "Philanthropic Grantmaking for Disaster Management: Trend Analysis and Recommended Improvements," ISIM report co-written with Patricia Weiss Fagen, Alice Poole and Sabrina Karim (December 2006).
- "Mexico-U.S. Migration Management: a Bi-National Approach (Executive Summary)," report co-coordinated with Augustin Escobar Lapati (December 2006).
- "Internal Trafficking," in Forced Migration Review, Issue 25 (May 2006).
- Managing Migration: The Promise of Cooperation, co-written with Philip Martin and Patrick Weil. Rowman & Littlefield (April 2006).
- Beyond the Gateway: Immigrants in a Changing America, co-edited with Elzbieta M. Gozdziak. Lexington Books (June 2005).
- "Competing for Skills: U.S. Immigration Policy Since 1990," co-written with B. Lindsay Lowell and presented at the IRPP Conference on North American Integration (March 2004).